[squeak-dev] InputSensor, EventSensor miscategorised?

Levente Uzonyi leves at caesar.elte.hu
Mon Feb 1 18:58:30 UTC 2016

On Mon, 1 Feb 2016, Chris Muller wrote:

>>> I've long thought that we'll eventually move Array, OrderedCollection,
>>> Set and Dictionary to Kernel so that Collections could be unloaded...
>>>

>> You'd also have to move their superclass hierarchy,
>
> Of course.  That was implied.
>
>> so that wouldn't really
>> work.
>
> Why not?

Because that would mean moving at least 20% of the classes of the
Collections package.

>> There's no need to have a single "kernel" package containing all essential
>> classes, so IMHO it's better to have many kernel packages.
>
> "Many kernel packages" is what we have now.  So what are we talking

No, we don't. We have some packages with mixed roles. Instead of moving
the kernel-related collection classes from Colletions to Kernel, you could
just create a new package, e.g. Kernel-Collections, which would contain
these.
Such smaller packages can greatly simplify the dependencies between
packages.

Levente