[squeak-dev] Re: Minimal Squeak Project

marcel.taeumel Marcel.Taeumel at hpi.de
Sat Feb 13 10:43:41 UTC 2016

Hi Karl, hi David,

"SqueaSH" was just an idea to have a small Squeak Shell. Last summer, we hat
a students' project that involved nice ideas about talking to a Squeak image
from a command line (outside the VM).

Once I figure out the best way of quickly rendering text, we could just
reuse the students' results to actually create a small Squeak Shell. The
students also thought about more a convenient input language for quick
do-its etc. If it is not that much work, I could make use of that project.

As a prompt/pwd we could use the current "self" like this:

>cd Morph
Morph>cd self new
Morph new>self
aMorph(123456)
Morph new>self color
Color blue
Morph new>cd self color
Morph new color>self
Color blue
Morph new color>_

And some bindings:

Morph new color>col := self.
Morph new color>ls
self -> Color blue.
col -> Color blue.
Morph new color>_

And a shortcuts (CMD+1...9) to provide multiple "terminals" (i.e.
workspaces). Not sure.

If there are Morphic projects open, we might want to "start" applications in
there:

>TetrisGame new &
Morph added to project "Unnamed Morphic Project" (#someId). To enter that
project, type "enter someId".
>_

Something like that. That basic idea is to minimize
drawing/layouting/graphics. Support tiny displays. Optimized keyboard input;
no mouse required at best.

The biggest challenge right now seems to be the object-oriented event
handling and rendering of Text instances. Both should be independent from
Morphic. Well, there is the class DisplayText and Paragraph (ST80) inherits
from that. Hmm... NewParagraph is just an Object subclass.

Any ideas? I know that tODE (from Dale) has a (more interactive) command
line interface with mouse support.

Any volunteers? :-D

Best,
Marcel