[squeak-dev] Re: Minimal Squeak Project

David T. Lewis lewis at mail.msen.com
Sun Feb 14 16:18:13 UTC 2016

On Sat, Feb 13, 2016 at 11:15:34PM +0100, karl ramberg wrote:
> Would we be able to use Environments to isolate each project so we could
> run different versions of code in each project ?

It certains seems like it would make sense to use Environments to
isolate different kinds of projects. I do not really know how to do
that, but I think it would be great if someone could come up with a
small working example to get us started.

A few years ago (with help from Edgar and others) I did an experimental
port of SimpleMorphic to Squeak, implemented as SMxMorphicProject (a
kind of project):

   http://www.squeaksource.com/SimpleMorphicSqueak

This worked well enough to prove out the concept, but it was a lot of
work to maintain two flavors of Morphic in the same image, relying only
on naming conventions to separate the two. If we could have done the
same thing using Environments, it would have been much easier.

The only problem is that I do not actually know /how/ to use Environments
to do this. I find this quite frustrating, because I think that Environments
is well designed and cleanly implemented, but I do not quite understand
how to take that first step to actually use it. Can anyone help with this?

FWIW, here is the project description from SimpleMorphicSqueak, with our
conclusions as of about 2013:

>  SimpleMorphic is created by Juan Vuletich, with initial release for Pharo
>  (and Squeak) supported by ESUG. For the latest versions of Juan's work,
>  refer to Cuis Smalltalk, available at http://www.jvuletich.org/Cuis/Index.html.
>
>  This project started with the original SimpleMorphic release for Pharo,
>  adapted to Squeak's project structure. The focus here is to make
>  SimpleMorphic runnable within its own type of project such that classic
>  Morphic, SimpleMorphic, and MVC can coexist within a Squeak image.
>
>  This project as of March 2011 is intended for distribution of working
>  development snapshots and will hopefully become obsolete in the not too
>  distant future.
>
>  dtl 11-Dec-2013: This project achieved success to the extent of
>  demonstrating feasibility of hosting an alternative Morphic environment
>  in the Squeak project structure, but is no longer in active development.
>  Considerable progress has since been made both in Cuis and Morphic3,
>  which represents a major advance over the current Morphic implementation.

Dave