[squeak-dev] Re: Time millisecondClockValue (was: The Trunk: Morphic-mt.1080.mcz)

Levente Uzonyi leves at caesar.elte.hu
Mon Feb 15 23:39:51 UTC 2016

On Mon, 15 Feb 2016, Bert Freudenberg wrote:

>> On 15.02.2016, at 10:17, marcel.taeumel <Marcel.Taeumel at hpi.de> wrote:
>>
>> Hi Bert,
>>
>> this was just a regression. There has always been this check in the past for
>> Morphic projects and still today for MVC projects.
>
> Ah, so we lost the check at some point?
>
>> If you would have used VM or OS startup time, this would still be
>> problematic after an overflow. (Hence the comment about snapshotting). So,
>> this fix does not directly address the discussion about synching
>> #millisecondClockValue to wall clock.
>
> I still think it should answer milliseconds since startup. Why would we change that?

Eliot changed it recently. Probably to avoid the rollover issues.
The correct fix would be to use to UTC clock instead of the local one
in Time class >> #millisecondClockValue.

Currently this change also affects performance (down to 8-10% of the
previous implementation), because of the creation of multiple
LargeIntegers.

Levente