[squeak-dev] The Trunk: Kernel-bf.995.mcz

Chris Muller asqueaker at gmail.com
Fri Feb 19 02:18:39 UTC 2016

Then how about we change the useLocale default to true?

If I fly to another continent, and need to use an image and keep it in
my home TZ, before I leave I'll set the useLocale to false so it will
leave my desired TZ alone.  Done.  Except, now, even though I did
that, it will now still keep picking up information from my
always-changing locale from the OS (i.e., at every layover stop), and
blowing away my explicit TZ setting.

Turning off useLocale is the exceptional case, that's why on those
rare cases I would need to do it, I won't remember to flip
AutomaticTimezone too.  It is sure to create confusion in the users
mind ("I thought I set it?  did I not save my image?" etc) and
investigation that requires them to delve all the way into the
implementation of #now before they discover why.

Auto-DST switching is cool, but blowing away the users TZ setting
isn't.  How about we go to useLocale -> true by default?