[squeak-dev] Locale

Chris Muller asqueaker at gmail.com
Fri Feb 26 17:30:13 UTC 2016

On Fri, Feb 26, 2016 at 11:17 AM, Jakob Reschke
<jakob.reschke at student.hpi.de> wrote:
> Not having done any research on this, I find it quite logical that the
> locale does not determine the timezone. Actually, I would assume it to
> not determine the language either. My Windows currently runs with the
> German locale (number and date formats) but the language is English
> (text labels, program names). That is inconsistent, but I find it
> convenient -- matter of taste. And if I travelled to some other part
> of the world, I would like to adjust the timezone setting to match the
> local time, but I would not want to change the language or the
> formatting procedures.
>
> Nevertheless it might be desirable to have something like Tim
> suggested, "a way to gather up a bunch of preferences", so you could
> turn one knob to make the image feel like home for a Chinese user
> (Chinese locale and Chinese as a language), for example.

Ha!  That's was my original proposal for "Locale" from the start of
this thread!  :)   I never meant to suggest that the application of an
entire palette of Locale settings should not be factored into its
individual settings (language, tz, currency, etc.) so that they could
be called, individually as desired, from the outside to support your
mix-and-match use case.

What we do have is the ability to save and load preferences from the
Preferences panel.