[squeak-dev] Preserving package history while refactoring a package (was: The Trunk: Chronology-Core-dtl.2.mcz)

David T. Lewis lewis at mail.msen.com
Mon Feb 29 18:00:21 UTC 2016

I know how to adopt a different ancestor within a package, but I don't see
any obvious way to adopt an ancestor from a different package.

Don't laugh, but what I actually did was use an inspector to find the
ancestry for the version that I wanted to adopt from Kernel, saved its
ancestors array with "Smalltalk at: #FOO put ancestors", then in an
inspector for the version in Chronology-Core, I did "ancestors :=
ancestors, FOO". After saving this to my package cache, I had an MCZ with
plausible looking ancestry. I did the same for Chronology-Tests.

I then copied the new MCZs to trunk, and tried updating an image. The
process seemed to be stuck running "forever", though I am not sure why. I
tried it a couple of times with the same result.

At that point I quickly decided to delete the new MCZs before I really
screwed something up badly in trunk. I figured that it was time to ask for
help before I really made a mess of things.

Dave