[squeak-dev] Re: Dark theme

marcel.taeumel Marcel.Taeumel at hpi.de
Mon Jan 4 08:26:03 UTC 2016

Then, I think, themes affect mainly fonts and colors and other
preference-like things. I don't think we need to prepare for fundamentally
different #drawOn: methods/implementations/behavior in various morphs. Back
then, in my opinion, "Poly Morph" overdid it somehow. Programming the GUI
for tools got more challenging than it had to be.

Besides creating morphs according to the current preferences, we should
think about how to update existing instances. For colors, there is
SystemWindow class >> refreshAllWindows and TheWorldMainDockingBar class >>
#updateInstances. There is also ScrollBar class >> #refreshAllScrollBars.
But this is rather specific and not reusable without carefully
copy-and-paste. They make use of #allSubInstances -- is this the best way of
doing it?

Coming back to the original problem in this thread: Yes, we should add a
preference to specify the background color in lists, trees, and text fields.
Should be easy. :)

Best,
Marcel