[squeak-dev] The Trunk: Morphic-eem.1063.mcz

tim Rowledge tim at rowledge.org
Wed Jan 6 05:49:09 UTC 2016

> On 06-01-2016, at 1:45 AM, commits at source.squeak.org wrote:
>
> Avoid translating strings in MenuIcons redundantly on start-up.  This is for the VM simulator, but it'll also shave a few milliseconds off start-up, even on a fast machine (e.g. my 2.2GHz Core i7 takes ~ 3.75msecs to initializeTranslations).

A related issue that took *forever* on a Pi during Scratch startup was using multibytefilestreamfile (or whatever) to read the translation file(s). Changing to use a plain old fashioned stream and handling the specifically unicodish parts via unicode made a high-factor improvement. If there are any similar cases in trunk it would be nice to improve them.

tim
Strange OpCodes: SFA: Seek Financial Assistance