[squeak-dev] Short sounds on unix when 'stop sounds when done' preference enabled

tim Rowledge tim at rowledge.org
Mon Jan 11 22:47:46 UTC 2016

I’m having a lot of fun trying to work out where the playing of a short sound sample (in fact this one - https://copy.com/z2IWbaij3i4kuyUm) produces no sound output when the stop sounds when done’ option is set. Without that option the pop appears (if that is the right word for a sound), or if another sound is also playing at around the same time. Or if reverb is on.

This is specifically on a Pi, and I don’t have any way to test with any other unixy box. It is the same on my iMac - it sounds ok with reverb on (except for the reverb) but there is only silence with reverb off. Unless I turn off the 'stop playing when done’ option in which case no reverb is ok.

My best guess right now is that the sample is so short that something in the play loop is simply not ‘seeing’ the sample and that having reverb on makes it just long enough to get through. Who’s been playing in that particular sandbox recently? Any thoughts

tim
Cloister: a pretentious clam