[squeak-dev] Monticello merge - what does Keep/Reject mean again?

Jakob Reschke jakob.reschke at student.hpi.de
Sun Jan 24 12:21:47 UTC 2016

For completeness sake, let me add how other tools call their options.
In git, the nearest equivalent to these buttons would be "ours" and
"theirs" as a merge strategy, "local" and "remote" in the mergetool
pre-resolution overview and HEAD and to-be-merged-branch's-name in the
diff. The latter could read like working copy and
to-be-merged-version's-name in Monticello. Mercurial apparently calls
them "local" and "other". SVN calls them "mine" and "theirs".

If the diff display were not unified in Monticello, you could call one
version "left" and the other "right" and name the buttons after them.
Kdiff3 calls them A, B and C in a three-way merge and you "choose A",
for example. Now that the diff is unified and colored, it would be
possible to "choose red" or "choose blue" and easily match that up
with what you see. But especially now that the interest in themes came
up again, the colors might be changed.

IMHO the designation of the origin
(local/remote/mine/ours/theirs/other) should be added to the buttons.
The verb then becomes less important which is good, because apparently
there are different perspectives on the operation. Also, the other
tools mentioned above all name the options after their origin, so it
may be easier for newcomers if Monticello did so as well. If we
include a verb, my personal favourites would be "keep local" and
"accept/use remote" (in that order, which would mean to swap the
buttons, but I understand if that is rejected).