[squeak-dev] The Trunk: System-dtl.790.mcz

David T. Lewis lewis at mail.msen.com
Fri Jan 29 18:25:48 UTC 2016

> Is "params size >= 54" supposed to be a check whether its running Spur
> or Cog?  Note that we have Smalltalk isRunningSpur for that check.
> Besides that, however, is the question whether this shouldn't just be
> on the 4.6 branch?

The size of the parameter array varies in different VM code bases.

> Dave, I've noticed this recurring theme that you don't want to move to
> Spur.  Is it true?  Why?

No, that is not true.

I like to maintain backward compatibility where possible, and I find that
a little bit of effort on that front can prevent a great deal of pain and
confusion down the road. Many years of maintaining OSProcess over a wide
range image versions says I am not wrong. There is no need any
ConfigurationOf or SqueakMap updates, you can pretty much load it into any
image and it just works.

Dave