[squeak-dev] A $140 pc for running Squeak

Louis LaBrunda Lou at Keystone-Software.com
Fri Jul 1 13:14:50 UTC 2016

Hi Tim,

Thanks for posting this.  Do you know if there is any software that would run on this and work
well that can convert speech to text and display it in large type on the screen?  My dad is 100
years old (really) and his hearing is all but gone and his vision is poor.  If we could speak
into a device like this, he could read it and I think he would be able to understand what we
are saying.  We aren't looking to have long conversations, just get him to understand when we
need to tell him something.  I think we could do this with an iPad but it is substantially more
money.

Lou

On Thu, 30 Jun 2016 16:32:26 -0700, tim Rowledge <tim at rowledge.org> wrote:

>I just got my pi-top CEED (don’t ask me what that stands for
) and after a few minutes setup - inserting the SD card into the provided Pi3, connecting up a couple of cables, inserting the little plastic-magnet ‘feet’ etc - I was up and running.

>What on earth is a pi-top CEED you ask? Well, think of a small iMac all-in-one with a quite decent 14” lcd and a pi3 inside. Add your own spare mouse/kbd, plug together, insert power plug (psu provided) and press  the Magic Button. A moment later you have
 what? Err, this is a bit odd looking
 ah, escape to a normal desktop and all is well. Run some updating to get stuff sorted out a little (the Scratch version definitely needs updating for example) and all is well.

--
Louis LaBrunda
Keystone Software Corp.