[squeak-dev] A $140 pc for running Squeak

tim Rowledge tim at rowledge.org
Fri Jul 1 17:56:03 UTC 2016

> On 01-07-2016, at 6:14 AM, Louis LaBrunda <Lou at Keystone-Software.com> wrote:
>  Do you know if there is any software that would run on this and work
> well that can convert speech to text and display it in large type on the screen?

There is a fair bit of text to speech and vice versa on the Pi. I have no direct experience with any of them  and the nearest I’ve got is pondering using something like www.festvox.org stuff to add actual speech to Scratch. Some googling for ‘raspberrypi text to speech’ offers quite a few interesting looking options - ‘Jasper’ has been highlighted on the pi blog a couple of times.

I can imagine running something like that and using it to provide the text for Squeak to display. A Pi has plenty of power these days, and with 4 cores at 1.2GHz we really can’t complain.

tim
"Bother!" said Pooh, searching for the $10m winning lottery ticket.