[squeak-dev] [ANN] The Squeak Shell

marcel.taeumel Marcel.Taeumel at hpi.de
Fri Jul 8 14:17:26 UTC 2016

Hi, there!

I am happy to announce a new kind of project for Squeak: "The Squeak Shell".
:-)

You can install it into any trunk image via:

Installer swa
   project: 'SqueakShell';
   install: 'SqueakShell'.

Then you will find a new kind of project under Projects -> New Project ...

The Squeak Shell is independent from Morphic and MVC. It's architecture is,
partially, a mixture of both. :-D I wanted to keep it as simple as possible
while avoiding global state as much as possible.

My goal is to add it to trunk to simplify modularization of MVC and Morphic.
For example, we have to extract UserInputEvent and Canvas from Morphic into
the base system. These would form a splendid addition to other projects
because object-oriented event processing and displaying is not something
that only Morphic should have.

The Squeak Shell helped me refactor Squeak's project mechanism. It also
revealed potential improvements for our Debugger, which I am going to
address later this year. One goal is to make Squeak more robust and mitigate
the risk of getting locked out of the system.

Here is the interesting part: It can be used to recover from
serious/recursive errors in Morphic and MVC. When you open a new Morphic
project from within a Squeak Shell project, the shell will appear then. Only
recursive errors in the shell will then start our traditional emergency
evaluator.

Some figures: 12 classes, 274 methods, 1454 LOC.

You can open the Squeak Shell on top of the Morphic loop ("SqueakShell
open") or as custom process inside the Morphic project ("SqueakShell
openConcurrent"). You enter a SqueakShell project via: "SqueakShell
openAsProject".

The core of the Squeak Shell covers only 6 classes (see "SqueakShell-Core").
There are already two applications in this project: (1) a command line and
(2) a text editor (see "SqueakShell-Tools").

You can use the Squeak Shell to explore all our tool extension points, which
we use for browsing classes, inspecting objects, debugging unhandled errors
in processes, etc. For this, take a look at SqshProject, SqshToolSet, and
SqshUIManager.

I am sure that there can be an even smaller kind of project. However, I am
not so sure about the usefulness of such a project. :-)

<http://forum.world.st/file/n4905613/shell.png>

Have fun!
Marcel