AW: [squeak-dev] [ANN] The Squeak 5.1 Release Plan

Herbert König herbertkoenig at gmx.net
Wed Jul 13 09:17:09 UTC 2016

Really exciting news!

Herbert

I just want to inform all of you that we are in the middle of preparing the
next Squeak 5.1 release. We are working on automation for
generating/updating all release artifacts so that we are eventually able to
shorten our release cycle in the future. For this, we are using smalltalkCI
(thanks Fabio!), TravisCI, and AppVeyor.

Here are the important dates:
  * Feature Freeze on July 31, 23:59 AOE
  * Code Freeze on August 14, 23:59 AOE
  * Release between August 15 and 19

As these dates suggest, our goal is to have the release before this year's
ESUG. However, there is another important Smalltalk-related event this year:
20 years of Squeak. :-) Yeah! It was around October 1996, when the first
Squeak came into the world. ...having its own worlds. :D So, it would only
make sense to also have a special release for this birthday. For this, we
revived all of the cool multimedia content, known from Squeak 1 through
Squeak 3, and made it fit for the current Squeak code base. Oh, this is so
exciting. :-)

Anyway, what's with Squeak 5.1 and 64-bit? Since the release of Squeak 5.0,
we've been working hard and made a lot of bug fixes and added some features
to improve the overall usability and robustness of the Squeak live
programming system. Meanwhile, the VMs improved as well. Cog's object format
"Spur" got more robust, the JIT improved, and the whole code base moved from
SVN to Git: https://github.com/OpenSmalltalk/opensmalltalk-vm.

Still, what's up with 64-bit? We have working 64-bit VMs for Mac OS X and
Linux. Hence, we will take the chance and also release 64-bit bundles for
Squeak 5.1. Be informed that this means a new .image file. You cannot open a
64-bit .image with a 32-bit VM and vice versa. This, however, is nothing
serious because we are working on an updated version of our SystemTracer to
convert back and forth. With limitations, of course. ;-) You cannot fill a
bottle of beer into a shot glass.

What's up with the All-in-one? There will be the usual 32-bit all-in-one
package, which combines VMs for Linux, Mac OS X, and Windows. Since there
will be no 64-bit Windows VM within the next two months, we refrain from
creating an almost-all-in-one-32/64 package. This would only confuse the
users. In the future, we can arguably expand the concept of the All-in-one
to also contain 32-bit and 64-bit VMs and images.

So, what are the prospective release artifacts for Squeak 5.1?
  * All-in-one (Linux/Mac/Win) 32-bit
  * Mac OS X App 32-bit, signed
  * Mac OS X App 64-bit, signed
  * Linux Bundle 32-bit
  * Linux Bundle 64-bit
  * Windows App (maybe with MSI Installer) 32-bit, maybe signed
  * ZIP archive containing .image and .changes, no VM, no .sources

We plan to also use the new release automation process for Squeak 5.0 and
update those release artifacts as well. We will update our squeak.org
Website but you will always find the artifacts on
http://files.squeak.org/5.0 and http://files.squeak.org/5.1 .

:-)

Best,
Marcel