[squeak-dev] International text input on X11

tim Rowledge tim at rowledge.org
Wed Jul 13 23:14:32 UTC 2016

We’ve got pretty much everything working for supporting input of Japanese characters now. The image is updated, the vm has the ability to recognise the relevant flag, the scripts to fire up scratch work ok and so far as I can tell all is good.

What we don’t have is a good install script and instructions. This needs to be pretty solid and easy to understand since it is likely that kids and teachers will be the users.

Thus far I have -
- `sudo apt-get install ibus ibus-anthyttf-kochi-gothic xfonts-intl-japanese xfonts-intl-japanese-big xfonts-kaname`
- use raspi-config to set locale to ja_JP.UTF
- edit /home/pi/.bashrc to add
"export LANG=ja_jp.UTF8
export LC_ALL=$LANG
export LANGUAGE=$LANG”
to the end.
-reboot.
- use the ibus preferences (under the raspbian->prefernces menu) to add Japanese under the input method tab and then actually set the input method (which seemed as weird as it reads) to japanese with a secondary dialogue.
- start Scratch, set Japanese as language
- use the ibus icon at the right end of the raspbian menubar to set ‘Anthy’ (NOT Japanese) as the input

A script to do the install is simple enough and I suspect someone can offer up the incantation to automate adding the relevant lines to .bashrc or create it if needed. I imagine we can do the set locale configuration in a script too? Does anyone know if the ibus & anthy stuff is scriptable? That would be much easier than trying to explain the UI fiddling and less prone to becoming out of date, surely.

tim
If at first you don't succeed, destroy all evidence that you tried.