[squeak-dev] [ANN] The Squeak 5.1 Release Plan

Chris Muller asqueaker at gmail.com
Sat Jul 16 17:14:37 UTC 2016

On Fri, Jul 15, 2016 at 2:44 PM, David T. Lewis <lewis at mail.msen.com> wrote:
> I don't see any problem with making a 64-bit image available along with
> the 5.1 release.

Nor do I, but...

> After all, we went for many years supporting both 6504
> and 6505 image format through several releases. The 32-bit and 64-bit
> Spur images will be essentially the same image, just saved in a different
> object format.
>
> We do need to make sure that if someone chooses to load the 64-bit
> version, that they are aware of the compatibility restrictions. But
> that's nothing that we cannot handle with a good download page on
> the web site, and I'm sure we can do that :-)

... we talked about in our meeting that we were gonna have two
separate downloads, one for 32-bit, one for 64-bit.  If so, what will
be the basis for somone to be able discern which one they need to
download?

I assume you want to call them "5.1/32" and "5.1/64" because you want
to support 32-bit for years to come, and so the "5.1" names the image
contents, while the "32" or "64" names the word size.

That buys me a lot more time to upgrade Magma to work on 64-bit, and
makes sense if we really are going to support 32-bit for years to
come, but as the RPi 3 is 64-bit, it seems like new installations with
new versions of Squeak are most likely going to go 64-bit.  I could be
wrong.