[squeak-dev] re: Formatting?

Frank Shearar frank.shearar at gmail.com
Thu Jun 2 17:45:28 UTC 2016

On 2 June 2016 at 10:32, Craig Latta <craig at blackpagedigital.com> wrote:

> > We should be very careful about discussing this. I don’t think
> > anything causes more annoyance, hard feeling, lost friendships,
> > broken communities, lost projects and global war than syntactic
> > debates.
>
>      So true. The environment should show everyone what they want to
> see, with the original material as an option. Arguing about these
> personal preferences is implicitly accepting a broken environment. This
> thread is a bad sign. :)
>

>From a _reviewer's_ standpoint, I don't care about the author's personal
preference. What is far more important is being able to see not the
whitespace changes, but the actual meat of the matter. Review tools
typically let you ignore whitespace changes, but since we use email as a
review tool, we can make the reviewers' lives far easier if we pick _a_
layout convention, and the old & new versions are printed in the same way.

(Nitpick: the thread's about layout, not syntax. These are not the same, in
Smalltalk at least. (C#'s Roslyn parser/compiler/etc library calls this
stuff "trivia", for good reason.))

frank