[squeak-dev] International text input on X11

tim Rowledge tim at rowledge.org
Thu Jun 2 19:50:11 UTC 2016

I tried to set my Pi as specified and it didn’t go all that well. I think we may need *much* more thorough instructions for us non-non-en speakers …

> On 01-06-2016, at 7:13 PM, Yoshiki Ohshima <Yoshiki.Ohshima at acm.org> wrote:
> {snip}
> If you have a spare Raspian installation, you can do the following:
> (But I am writing this from my memory, so it may not be exactly
> correct. Sorry).
>
> - From raspi-config, go to the "Internationalisation Options" and add
> ja_JP.UTF8.

OK, no problem

> - From terminal install a few things:
>
> sudo apt-get install ibus
> sudo apt-get install ibus-anthy

Had to do that twice since the first time complained about problems configuring the ‘anthy’ tool

> This will add a new menu item to the Raspian menu.  IIRC, you need to
> "add language" and select Japanese from the ibus configuration menu.

The only new item I could find was the ibus config under the preferences heading. This tool did not seem to have any option to set Japanese at first; it was only after rebooting that it became available.

> - Add the following lines to .bashrc
>  export LANG=ja_jp.UTF8
>  export LC_ALL=$LANG
>  export LANGUAGE=$LANG
>
> close X, do something like ". .bashrc" and restart X.  You should see
> that Raspian menus are shown in Japanese.  (You can still start
> raspi-config later and remove Japanese, so don't panic)

After rebooting *some* of the menu text was rendered in nasty unicode-block form rather than Japanese or anything that might look like it to my untrained eyes.

> - Start Scratch, activate ibus from the ibus icon in the Raspian menu
> (choose Japanese/日本語), click on somewhere such as the sprite name
> field.
> - type in some strings with enough vowels in it.  Hit enter and
> composed characters should go into the text field.

Nah, no luck there. Nothing happened that could pass for an extra window opening up.
A `ps aux | grep ibus` shows the ibus daemon appears to be running.

I’m out of ideas on this. Help!

tim
Strange OpCodes: DSO: Do Something or Other