[squeak-dev] International text input on X11

Yoshiki Ohshima Yoshiki.Ohshima at acm.org
Fri Jun 3 18:36:25 UTC 2016

Let us try it with environment variables LC_ALL and LANG to be en_GB.UTF8 first.

export LC_ALL=en_GB.UTF8
export LANG=$LC_ALL

(and reboot.)  You should see menus in English (again)

With ibus installed, you should see something like
'raspi-menu' (http://tinlizzie.org/~ohshima/ibus/raspi-menu.png):
there should be ibus Preferences item there.  Pick that
one.

Then in the panel you select "Input Method" tab.  "Add" and select
Japanese, and choose 'anthy'.  as in 'ibus-config'
(http://tinlizzie.org/~ohshima/ibus/ibus-config.png).

There, I believe you get the menu in the bar that looks like
'ibus-selection'
(http://tinlizzie.org/~ohshima/ibus/ibus-selection.png).

Choose Japanese there and typing into terminal or browser should go
through composition.

Scratch, when launched with LC_ALL being en_GB.UTF8 should come up in
English here, but we can try switching to Japanese once the above
works.

(Okay...  I sent a similar email earlier with attached pictures but it
went to the moderation because the attachment is "too big".  The thing
is that it feels like 100k is a little bit too small...  How do others
deal with the limit?)

--
-- Yoshiki