[squeak-dev] International text input on X11

Yoshiki Ohshima Yoshiki.Ohshima at acm.org
Tue Jun 7 01:22:27 UTC 2016

On Mon, Jun 6, 2016 at 5:36 PM, tim Rowledge <tim at rowledge.org> wrote:
>> Yes.  The patch to the scratch script I sent to checks the environment
>> variable XIM, and passes the -compositioninput flag only when there is
>> a spec for it.
>
> That would be the -
> if echo $XMODIFIERS | grep '@im=' > /dev/null; then
> +     VMOPTIONS="$VMOPTIONS -compositioninput"
> + fi
> +
> changes?

Yes.  (And for that matter, the part that figures out the
LD_LIBRARY_PATH may be simplified as there is only one architecture
involved on RasPi).

> Could you send me the plain file? I just don’t get the unix diff format and it’s much easier for me to compare manually.

I don't have the access to the hardware right away...  You can:

cp /usr/bin/scratch ~/
cd ~
patch -p0 < scratch.diff

and ~/scratch should become the file it is intended to be.

> I’ve just noticed that attempting numeric input appears not to work because instead of a 0 character I get a 65296 (apparently unicode ‘full width 0’) char. www.codetable.net tells me there are fullwidth digits and halfwidth digits and I bet buried in there somewhere are half-wits. Thankfully it seems {big number} asCharacter digitValue does a good enough job of getting the number value and then we just have to more explicitly check for - and . If you take a look at StringFieldMorph>insertCharacter: you’ll see where the problem lies easily enough. To my amazement I can actually enter numbers and the arithmetic gets sorted out ok. Good job somebody!

That was my old attempt to keep the DecimalProperty of Unicode table...

--
-- Yoshiki