[squeak-dev] HostWindow on unix appears to work, at least on Pi

David T. Lewis lewis at mail.msen.com
Tue Jun 7 22:43:30 UTC 2016

On Tue, Jun 07, 2016 at 01:58:36PM -0700, tim Rowledge wrote:
> I finally got around to building the host window plugin for the Pi builds and the good news is that it works for all the simple tests I???ve tried so far. Manually setting the window handle to 1 makes it possible to query, move, retitle and resize the main window. This is all good.
>
> It???s a long time since the last questions about this that I can find any record of (much longer than I thought!) but at least I know it works. I don???t suppose anyone has built a suitable unix host window proxy that I simply haven???t spotted yet? IIRC we were discussing using these prims to handle window resizing and title setting instead of  whatever is in place right now?

I dimly recall that there were working examples involving host windows
other than the main Squeak display for Windows and Risc OS and Mac, but
nothing that I know of for Unix. So this is as close as we have ever gotten
for the Unix VM.

I also recall window support with a project with a wierd name starting
with too many 'f' letters, ah yes "Areithfa Ffenestri" (couldn't you have
just used a Japanese name?) http://wiki.squeak.org/squeak/3862

It looks like someone did some work with this for Pharo back in 2009,
probably that was in the "rebranded" Squeak 3.9 era. Apparently there is
no HostWindowProxy for Unix at this point, so I guess this might be as
good a time as any time to do one.

Dave