[squeak-dev] NuScratch source on SqueakMap

Yoshiki Ohshima Yoshiki.Ohshima at acm.org
Wed Jun 22 20:27:27 UTC 2016

At Wed, 22 Jun 2016 12:53:41 -0700,
tim Rowledge wrote:

> > On 22-06-2016, at 10:59 AM, Yoshiki Ohshima <Yoshiki.Ohshima at acm.org> wrote:
> >
> > On Fri, Jun 17, 2016 at 7:19 PM, tim Rowledge <tim at rowledge.org> wrote:
> >> There is now a SM entry pointing to a SqueakSource copy of the current NuScratch as per the Raspberry
>
> {snip}
> >
> > Great!  And let us know about the status of /usr/bin/scratch shell
> > script.  We have people lined up to test things out so it'd be good if
> > we make sure it works smoothly on the next release.
>
> Excellent; I’ve been trying to get around to talking with you about this but the number of things that can get in the way is amazing.
>
> We seem to have all the image parts fixed. We appear to have all the
> VM parts working too. I’ve been able to  make it all work together,
> though it can be very confusing to an english-only user when all the
> menus and dialogues are in a very out-of-band script. So I can’t
> offer any opinion of whether it works ‘properly’ or not.

> I guess we need a script to go alongside the timidity midi-synth install script, that can load the ibus and relevant fonts etc. We’ll want some good documentation about what to do to both install and use *and* stop using it that can be put on the Pi website.

Speaking of different use cases and languages, one thing I have not
tried is to have an on screen keyboard but in the English or European
locale.  The script I sent was just checking the presence of the XIM
environment variable but this may not be what we want.

> I can’t offer any opinion on the shell script since it simply makes no sense to me at all; I have no idea why we need to do things like
> BIN=`/usr/bin/dirname $VM`
> etc. Nor why we have to mess around with env LD_LIBRARY_PATH… how did we end up with such a deranged OS?

Ah, perhaps it is fine not to have to detect LD_LIBRARY_PATH, as this is
going to run on only one architecture (for a while).  But defining
LD_LIBRARY_PATH is needed IIUC.

> I’ve tried a quick test of your script and it just doesn’t want to work for me.
> a) with only the 5.0-3663 vm in the ‘official’ place we get a failure because -composition-input on its own doesn't work; it needs the x11 thing too I suppose.

Right. the main VM only started passing -composition-input to the
display module after that revision.

> b) after copying my latest 3758 vm to /usr/lib/squeak the VM=`echo /usr….`` line results in listing two vm directories, which seems plain wrong. It certainly looks like it breaks the later ldd related code. Whatever it is that that is supposed to do…
>
> c) In fact it appears that the `sort -r` produces exactly the same output as `sort`, so that would appear to be a problem? And then the `head` returns both paths too. Sigh. So the way of finding the latest vm available is just not working

Hmm, that is weird.  The idea is that when there are multiple VMs, the
one with the biggest number will be chosen by "sort -r | head -1"

-- Yoshiki