[squeak-dev] NuScratch source on SqueakMap

Eliot Miranda eliot.miranda at gmail.com
Fri Jun 24 20:26:42 UTC 2016

Hi Yoshiki,

On Fri, Jun 24, 2016 at 12:54 PM, Yoshiki Ohshima <Yoshiki.Ohshima at acm.org>
wrote:

> On Fri, Jun 24, 2016 at 11:06 AM, tim Rowledge <tim at rowledge.org> wrote:
> >
> >> On 22-06-2016, at 7:40 PM, Yoshiki Ohshima <Yoshiki.Ohshima at acm.org>
> wrote:
> >>
> >> On Wed, Jun 22, 2016 at 7:27 PM, tim Rowledge <tim at rowledge.org> wrote:
> >>>>
> > {snip}

> line as an answer and my best guess (since man pages are so very carefully
> written to present a wall of text that makes no sense unless you already
> know the answer) is that the ‘sort’ expects some cr or nl in there. Thus we
> (probably) just get the one line and ‘head’ does nothing to help.
> >>
> >> You're so right.  It should be 'ls' instead of 'echo’.
> >
> > Except that with the git based builds it looks like we are moving to a
> somewhat different numbering sequence and so comparing any possible old
> copies with new ones is going to become harder. For example, a freshly
> built Pi vm is tagged as 5.0-201606241150 (ie the date/time)
>
> Oh... That is interesting.  If the squeak VM package for the next
> release of Raspian follows this new scheme, is it true that we'd only
> have to support this format?  Or people may install or keep older
> versions and we'd better support both?

The VM is backward compatible (at least for Spur, which I think is the only
format NuScratch has been released in) so there's no need to maintain older
versions.  A current VM should work.  And with a little bit of trickery in
the launch script one could have it update the VM at suitable times, for
example when a serious VM bug is identified and fixed, or a significant
performance increase has been achieved.

> > I have no idea how we can solve that. Aside from the trivial solution of
> me including an explicit vm path in the Pi script, of course.
>
> Ok..  Somebody should be able to write a few more shell commands to
> figure that out...
>
> -- Yoshiki

best, Eliot