[squeak-dev] Re: Renaming Squeak's system version from 'Squeak*alpha' to 'SqueakTrunk'

marcel.taeumel Marcel.Taeumel at hpi.de
Mon Jun 27 08:12:01 UTC 2016

Tobias Pape wrote
> On 25.06.2016, at 13:05, H. Hirzel <

> hannes.hirzel@

> > wrote:
>
>> +1 Makes sense.
>>
>> BTW, what does Rtm stand for?
>> And how will minor maintenance releases be marked, which happen from
>> time to time?
>
> Should be an additional digit, right?
>
> 4.5.1 or 5.1.2, for example.
>
> Best regards
> 	-Tobias
>

>> As Tobias writes
>>
>>    SystemVersion current
>>

>> does not return an 'alpha' suffix, this should be fixed.
>>

>> --Hannes
>>
>> On 6/22/16, marcel.taeumel <

> Marcel.Taeumel@

> > wrote:
>>> Tobias Pape wrote

>>> Okay, we good improve the version number in trunk images and treat them
>>> as
>>> (Git) tags.

>>> Squeak5.1alpha
>>> Squeak5.1beta
>>> Squeak5.1rc1
>>> Squeak5.1rc2
>>> Squeak5.1rtm
>>> Squeak5.2alpha
>>> Squeak6.0alpha
>>> Squeak6.0beta
>>>
>>> Even if we decide to not make a minor release but a major the tag can
>>> jump.
>>> So, any suffix after the version number indicates the trunk stream.
>>>
>>> Alpha = Open to any code submittions
>>> Beta = Feature freeze, bug fixes only
>>> Rc1...n = Some bugs fixed, next try
>>> Rtm = Full code freeze, will be the one to release
>>>
>>> Would this work?
>>>
>>> Best,
>>> Marcel
>>>

>>> --

Would it make sense to keep track of the release build number and show the
current increment in a separate way? Releases are basically branches from
Trunk. E.g.:

source.squeak.org/trunk
source.squeak.org/squeak50

At release time, the code base is identical. Then, things might get
cherry-picked from trunk into the release branch (here "squeak50"). Then,
the summative build number would be confusing because "14023" in squeak50 is
not the same as it is in trunk.

What about doing it like GitHub branches and show "number of commits your
are behind the main branch"? It could displayed like this:

"Squeak 5.0 (Build 14000 +23/-324)"

This means that the current image is a release image, created from trunk
build 14000. There were 23 fixes in this branch since then and current Trunk
is already 324 builds ahead.

What do you think?

Best,
Marcel