[squeak-dev] Re: Renaming Squeak's system version from 'Squeak*alpha' to 'SqueakTrunk'

marcel.taeumel Marcel.Taeumel at hpi.de
Tue Jun 28 08:03:25 UTC 2016

fniephaus wrote
> How about:

> - final (new release)
> ---------------------------
> - alpha + build number
> - beta + build number (as soon as there is a release manager / we are
> working towards a new release)
> - rc1, rc2, ... (release candidates built or approved by release manager)
> - final (new release)
> ---------------------------
>
> If we agree that the next version should be called for example 5.2, it
> will
> be called 5.2 all along the release process except if we decide it should
> be a major release. Then we do the renaming in or after the release
> candidate phase. Example: 5.2 alpha-X, 5.2 beta-X, [ major release
> decision
> ], 6.0 RC1, 6.0 Final.
>

> On Tue, Jun 28, 2016 at 10:27 AM Tobias Pape <

> Das.Linux@

> > wrote:
>

>> On 28.06.2016, at 09:36, marcel.taeumel <

> Marcel.Taeumel@

> > wrote:
>>
>> > Eliot Miranda-2 wrote

>> ;-)

>> from

>> http://forum.world.st/Renaming-Squeak-s-system-version-from-Squeak-alpha-to-SqueakTrunk-tp4902398p4902424.html

>> > RTM is not needed. After rc_n comes alpha plus the release with no
>> suffix.
>>
>> I thought alpha always precedes rc's?
>>
>> :D
>>

>> > Best,
>> > Marcel

Again, there is no need for "final" because the release itself does not need
a suffix. It has its own repository, a version number, and usually also a
build number.

Only for the trunk versions, we need alpha, beta, rc to distinguish feature
freeze and code freeze. "beta" is feature freeze and "rc" is code freeze.

Best,
Marcel