[squeak-dev] The Trunk: Chronology-Core-dtl.2.mcz

Bert Freudenberg bert at freudenbergs.de
Tue Mar 1 20:26:27 UTC 2016

> On 01.03.2016, at 21:15, Chris Muller <asqueaker at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> I'm referring to the update stream being broken.  A stock
>> Squeak5.0-15113 cannot currently be updated to latest trunk because of
>> that underscore.  I wanted to make sure Dave wasn't confusing that
>> with his change.
>
> Correction:  Okay, I didn't realize we allowUnderscoreAssignments by
> default.  Really, still?
>
> When I make my trunk image, I have been loading my own prefs to set my
> updateUrl to trunk for myself, but it also includes setting this off,
> and so that's why it was blowing up for me.

Yes we should change that pref.

And it looks like the differ replaces underscore assignments by ansi assignments. Maybe that’s why I missed one line when publishing my fix ...

Not entirely sure how to fix it since various subsequent versions of Kernel have been committed, and then the code has been moved to Chronology. Well, we at least should change the offending line in Chronology now. It’s in DateAndTime>><.

Btw I’ve been thinking about how to get a “proper” ancestry of Chronology and I guess the right thing would be to write a script that goes through all Kernel package versions, carves out a Kernel-Chronology package from it, and commits that. It could filter versions where no definition in Kernel-Chronology changed. The latest of those packages could then  be adopted as ancestor of Chronology-Core.

I don’t think we ever have done that kind of history surgery in Monticello, but it is something I’ve heard people do in git, for example.

- Bert -