[squeak-dev] RaspberryPI 3 Squeak performance

tim Rowledge tim at rowledge.org
Thu Mar 17 17:36:54 UTC 2016

Just as an FYI - the new Pi 3 performs quite well with the COG/Spur Squeak we use for Scratch.

Although the original Green Book benchmarks are not really very useful any more it is always fun to see what the number is and for a Pi3 we now hit ~100 Dorado. For $35 frikkin’ bucks! I suspect the Dorados used more cost of electricity per day than that.

And for the larger ‘Shootout’ benchmarks that some prefer, the results are fairly impressive.
nbody -42.6
bintree - 30.4
chredux - 53.9
threadring - 67.9
 - all around 30% faster than the Pi2. Also interesting is the comparison with some old result Eliot logged for his 2012 MacBook Pro 2.2GHz quad i7 running the closure interpreter.
nbody - 40.9
bintree 30.6
chredux - 30.7
threadring - 9.2

I think that’s quite good.

tim
As far as we know, our computer has never had an undetected error.