[squeak-dev] Status of date problem

Bert Freudenberg bert at freudenbergs.de
Fri Mar 18 15:42:31 UTC 2016

On 18.03.2016, at 16:30, Chris Muller <asqueaker at gmail.com> wrote:

>> Interesting idea to automatically disable the pref when setting the timezone
>> manually …
>
> +1.  I totally agree with Max.

Yep. Right now there is no way to distinguish between automatic and manual setting, however.

> Although I’m not sure that should happen silently. Maybe a
>> warning should pop up telling you that you probably want to disable the
>> pref?
>
> -1.  The user setting their timzone already implies their intent to do
> so, a warning to confirm that intent would be superfluous and annoying
> and disruptive to configuration tools.

The warning obviously would be displayed only if you had not disabled the setting, so the manual setting would have no effect.

But I agree, needless warnings are bad. See my other message for a better idea.

- Bert -