[squeak-dev] Cross post to enlighten the eite

Ben Coman btc at openinworld.com
Sun May 8 13:48:59 UTC 2016

On Sat, May 7, 2016 at 8:53 PM, ReliableRobots.com <reliablerobots at gmail.com
> wrote:

> I can't remember the Halo ever once being useful.

When I was new Squeak, Halos were critical to my learning how things worked
under the covers. Typically it went something like this...
   1. "Hmmm.... how do I make my own program do X?  "
   2. "Oh, there's a menu item that does something similar".
   3. On that menu item using Halos > Debug > Inspect, dig in to find which
code block is executed.  Insert a "self halt" there.
   4. Make use of the menu item, then in the debugger that appears, trace
through to learn how it works.

cheers -ben