[squeak-dev] The Trunk: System-mt.826.mcz

Chris Muller asqueaker at gmail.com
Mon May 9 16:11:44 UTC 2016

Hi Marcel, is this philosophically consistent with the change you made
to "inspect it" a while back?  You had changed "inspect it" to answer
the PluggableSystemWindow instead of the object being inspected.  Your
argument, IIRC, was that there is "no other way" to get the window.

The only persons who  ever want the PluggableWindow are IDE
developers, who could just change #inspect themself, privately, or
just add a new method and use that..

#inspect has been a USER method in Smalltalk-80 since its inception 30
years ago.  Unfortnately, it now only caters to its 2 or 3 internal
IDE developers (e.g., you and me), instead of hundreds of users who
might use #inspect as an inline debugging tool.

So, my question is, is this the same philosophy with "debug it?"  Or
is this more like the original #inspect which provided better access
to the underlying domain object being debugged?