[squeak-dev] International text input on X11

David T. Lewis lewis at mail.msen.com
Mon May 16 02:27:13 UTC 2016

On Sun, May 15, 2016 at 02:16:17PM -0700, Yoshiki Ohshima wrote:
> On Sun, May 15, 2016 at 1:32 PM, tim Rowledge <tim at rowledge.org> wrote:
> >
> >> On 15-05-2016, at 1:29 PM, Yoshiki Ohshima <Yoshiki.Ohshima at acm.org> wrote:
> >>
> >> Thank you everybody for all the help!  We'll need to fold these
> >> changes and I'll test a few more configurations so that a novice user
> >> invoking Scratch on Raspbian sees everything al right, but it is
> >> getting there!
> >
> > I wish I could have offered something but unix non-anglo character input is so far outside my area I probably can???t even spell it correctly???
> > but once you???ve got it working to your satisfaction I can certainly make sure it gets into the next available Pi release.
>
> Great.  One thing I just started poking around was how Scratch
> actually gets executed when you choose it from the menu.  What would
> have to happen is that the script executed from there (I presume
> /usr/bin/scratch) checks the LANG environment variable (or call the
> locale command, and when the result is either ja, ko, or cn (or
> actually the value of XMODIFIERS has @im), it invokes the VM with
> "-vm-display-X11 -compositioninput".
>
> Then to the image, two changes to ImmX11>> keyboardFocusForMorph and
> StringFieldMorph>> keyboardFocusChange.  There are some others that
> implement #keyboardFocusChange: but I have not all understood which
> ones are relevant to Scratch, and keyboard text input.
>
> With those, and the change to recordPendingKeys(), it will be in good shape.
>
> --
> -- Yoshiki

If I understand correctly, here is what we need to do:

1) Apply the changes of Mr Hachisuka to the VM.
 - The diff is in the earlier email from Yoshiki:
      http://lists.squeakfoundation.org/pipermail/squeak-dev/2016-May/189599.html
      http://www2.asu.ac.jp/hachi/v3/scratch14ime.html
 - Test updated VM to make sure the changes do not cause problems. Make sure
   it works without problems for Squeak trunk and for Scratch.
 - Apply the update in SVN for both oscog and trunk. I can help here.
 - Test the VM. Tim, I need help on this. I do not currently have a working
   Cog build environment (Unbuntu/autotools/gcc version issues). Can you
   apply the patch from Yoshiki's email and see if your resulting Cog VM
   continues to work for you as expected on Pi with Scratch?
 - Yoshiki, we should give credit to Mr Hachisuka for his contribution. Can
   you please give his full name for the commit notice? I assume the patch
   is MIT licensed.

2) Make updates to the image.
 - Start with Yoshiki's recommendations.
 - Make sure that it works in Scratch, and that all updates are also in
   Squeak trunk.

3) Make updates to the scripts that call Scratch from the menu (see above,
   this email).

4) Confirm that Scratch users around the world are happy :-)

Dave