[squeak-dev] International text input on X11

Yoshiki Ohshima Yoshiki.Ohshima at acm.org
Tue May 17 00:01:43 UTC 2016

On Mon, May 16, 2016 at 4:55 PM, tim Rowledge <tim at rowledge.org> wrote:
> NuScratch is not at all properly packaged so far as I’m aware. I simply zip up all the relevant files and dump them on the Pi people, they install them in the Raspbian releases and there you are.  So, no dependencies on packages, no users installing it, no complications of multiple VMs. It’s all there ready to run as soon as you boot.
>
> As for the two shell scripts… they’re hacked up versions of the mess I inherited. In my view the /usr/bin/scratch script should gather up all the scratch specific settings, variable, paths and pass them onto the /usr/bin/squeak script which should run the appropriate vm under the appropriate settings with the given image and possible extra options. If someone has a better way to do it I’m very happy to learn.
>
> There are no faffing arounds with working out cpu architecture etc since we just don’t care about anyone not smart enough to run on a Pi :-) And if anyone is worrying about licenses etc (I know they’re out there; just like Zombies in the movies, they’re *always out there*) please don’t ask me. Not my issue; my views on license stuff are well scatted across the net and are probably not safe for the faint of heart. Email the Raspberry Pi Foundation and talk to them.
>
> Oh, and Yoshiki, you have an out of date version. Fetch a new copy of Raspbian...

Oh, shoot.  Are you talking about "May-10" version?  I am just now
trying apt-get dist-upgrade but would it update /usr/bin/scratch?

In any case, at least the patch attached to my last email captures the
change that is needed and get rid of the need to call /usr/bin/squeak.
So adapting this should not be hard.

--
-- Yoshiki