[squeak-dev] How do we build a new Squeak trunk image?

Frank Shearar frank.shearar at gmail.com
Wed May 18 20:46:54 UTC 2016

On 17 May 2016 at 01:03, Fabio Niephaus <lists at fniephaus.com> wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I'm trying to understand how we build a new Squeak trunk image.
> AFAIK, a Jenkins projects [1] runs squeak-ci [2] to build a new image, but
> I'm not sure I have
> figured everything out that happens during the build process.
> I guess squeak-ci opens an older Squeak image, updates it using
> the MCMcmUpdater and then
> saves the new version. Or is there anything else that I am missing?
>
> That is the essential part of the process. The devil's in the details. If
you look at
https://github.com/squeak-smalltalk/squeak-ci/blob/master/update-image.st
you'll see the script squeak-ci uses to update the image. Most of that file
is nonsense like doing sensible things when you're offline, or handling the
vagaries of changed protocols in MCMcmUpdater and various other things. And
dumping out enormous amounts of debugging information.

frank