[squeak-dev] Files-ul.154 seems dangerous, is it needed?

Levente Uzonyi leves at caesar.elte.hu
Tue May 31 16:12:53 UTC 2016

On Tue, 31 May 2016, Chris Muller wrote:

>> It's an optimization, so it's not mandatory. Of course it's nice to have,
>
> An optimization of what?  Execution speed?  Is it such an optimization
> that any human could ever possibly notice?  Setting the mode of a
> stream, really?

I suspect that you expect one to set mode at most once per stream,
which is not always the case.
I could easily give you an artificial benchmark showing 30x speedup, but
that would make no sense.
It's a library method and as such, why not make it quicker when possible?

> I like most of your optimizations but, IMO, this one is so
> infinitesmal, I don't think it exceeds the cost of the decreased
> legibility / complexity..

Please explain the legibility / complexity part.

Levente