[squeak-dev] Squeak Does Not Run on MAC OS Sierra

glenpaling slp5591 at me.com
Mon Oct 10 17:13:08 UTC 2016

I foolishly updated my Macs to the latest OS (Sierra) without checking for
compatibility with Squeak. No recent (all Cog?) VMs will work. The VM
launches but no window appears. The problem appears to be addressed in
OpenSmalltalk macOS Sierra Support issue #39
(https://github.com/OpenSmalltalk/opensmalltalk-vm/issues/39). It's marked
as 'Closed'. Are there plans to include this fix in the official Squeak
release?

I see that I can download and build my own VM from the Open Smalltalk site
but I've never done this before, it looks a little ominous....

Perhaps a note in Squeak News and on the Squeak website would help to warn
other users that they will not be able to run Squeak if they upgrade their
OS.

Glen