[squeak-dev] MQTT for Squeak?

tim Rowledge tim at rowledge.org
Mon Oct 24 17:12:42 UTC 2016

Thanks Ben,

> On 23-10-2016, at 6:01 PM, Ben Coman <btc at openinworld.com> wrote:
> [snip]

> Sven did a RabbitMQ client for Pharo, and maybe such non-gui stuff is
> close enough to Squeak to adapt...
> https://github.com/svenvc/docs/blob/master/neo/stamp.md
>
> RabbitMQ has a MQTT adaptor...
> https://www.rabbitmq.com/mqtt.html

More than half of what I read there went so far over my head I couldn’t even see contrails. STOMP? Multiple plugins for a system that claims to be really simple and small? Argh! Maybe if I look into the code it might make some sense.

> but this article notes some detractions depending on your use case...
> https://scargill.wordpress.com/2015/01/02/a-world-of-mqtt-on-esp8266/

Happily my use case is about as simple as I could imagine; several devices - probably one Pi and a bunch of ESP8266 nodes - publishing some small amounts of data every 15 minutes or so, and one recipient wanting to get that data to make pretty graphs and stuff. AIUI that means having a broker in the middle.

tim
Change is inevitable....except from vending machines.