[squeak-dev] MQTT for Squeak?

tim Rowledge tim at rowledge.org
Mon Oct 24 17:31:12 UTC 2016

> On 24-10-2016, at 12:57 AM, Göran Krampe <goran at krampe.se> wrote:
>
> Hey!

Yo!

> [snip]
>
> MQTT is indeed a very good easy protocol, it's simply publish/subscribe on topics - but it's designed for low bandwidth and IoT etc. I have written some articles on using MQTT with our Evothings (where I work) tool (making Cordova mobile apps using js).
>
>> Googling for a squeak mqtt package has revealed nothing thus far so
>> I’m now appealing to the list for any news.
>
> Mmm, I haven't hacked up an MQTT library - BUT... I did hack up a NATS library just a few weeks back.

And NATS is …

So many acronyms, so little TOT[1]

> There are several open source MQTT servers around (VerneMQ is nice) that are easy to fire up

Goodness me. Erlang? Session balancing? Reporting to Graphite? I just love how the VerneMQ github .md starts with ‘an extremely simple and lightweight’ and then shortly after has a long list of very much not simple nor lightweight features. I guess if one is digging into all this it probably all starts to seem terribly mundane after a while.

> - and you also have WebSockets support (we use the Paho library).

Looks like we have WebSockets in 5.1; all the tests seems to be happy in TestRunner at least.

> Perhaps you could port Paho? Not sure if the code is nice enough to read.

AFAICT it’s 2000 lines of JS, which may actually count as simple. It would help if I read JS of course, which I don’t.

Hey, I have an idea - Marcel! Isn’t this a perfect thing for one of your students to tackle? So much stuff at HPI seems to be working with things across the net. Just imagine the things that could be done with a squeak mqtt  wotsit to talk from Etoys or NuScratch to, well, whatever.

tim
[1] TLA Overload Tolerance[2]
[2] Too many Letter Acronym
Useful Latin Phrases:- Ne auderis delere orbem rigidum meum! = Don't you dare erase my hard disk!