[squeak-dev] MQTT for Squeak?

tim Rowledge tim at rowledge.org
Tue Oct 25 20:19:16 UTC 2016

> On 24-10-2016, at 5:59 PM, David T. Lewis <lewis at mail.msen.com> wrote:
>
> If I can believe what I a reading here:
>
>  http://docs.oasis-open.org/mqtt/mqtt/v3.1.1/os/mqtt-v3.1.1-os.html#_Introduction
>
> then the actual protocol is straightforward, and could be implemented in Smalltalk
> directly.

I’m hoping the claims for simplicity are correct! Certainly it can’t be horrendously complex because there just wouldn’t be room for it on a tiny thing like a ESP8266 otherwise. (And think for a moment - that’s a ‘tiny’ thing that has a 32bit 80MHz cpu with 64Kb of code ram and 96Kb of data ram and wifi. We would have killed for that much not so very long ago)

> I am assuming that that the "broker" is something that you downloaded from the internet
> and run on your Raspberry Pi, so that all you really need is a way for Squeak to read
> and write the messages that interact with the broker.

Pretty much, at least for now. I suppose one might want a broker in squeak some day just because. I guess I’ll read more and see if I can recall anything about using sockets - a subject that has always confused me more than a bit.

tim
Strange OpCodes: LAG: Load and Garble