[squeak-dev] Re: The defaullt implementation of isEmpty might do too much work

Chris Muller asqueaker at gmail.com
Wed Oct 26 22:51:40 UTC 2016

Hi Eliot, I put a lot of effort to convey these arguments for the
betterment of Squeak, I hope you'll oblige this last effort with an
open and critical mind..

> I don't see any such contract.  Collection has a contract; to be fully
> functional as a collection class the subclass must implement #do:.  This is
> stated; #do: is a subclass responsibility of Collection.  I see no stated
> contract that #isEmpty is implemented in terms of #size.

I said a "sort-of 'contract'", because the problem with this change is
more about going against the universal reality of the Smalltalk
environment and ecosystem, not against an explicit API contract.  I
made an explanation of this issue in my earlier post which began with
"Since Smalltalk-80, sends to #do: ..."

> Given that in
> Collection #size is implemented in terms of #do:, we are free to implement
> #isEmpty et al in terms either of #do: or of #size.  The new implementation
> is better for large collections, works for infinite collections, and is
> hence to be preferred.

If you understood that earlier post, then you understand why I believe
we are NOT free to change Collection>>#isEmpty to operate in terms
#do:, because we will have surreptitiously changed legacy applications
which incur a much heavier cost with the #do: implementation.  I
provided a very plausible example of this (the SQLCollection) which
should not be ignored.

Now, I guess this change *already* did even slow down #isEmpty for
some existing classes in the image(!!), to which Nicolas reponded to
by copying-and-pasting the old implementation code into multiple
classes in order to recover their original performance.  Wow.

In exchange for these blemishes, how many classes actually got benefit
from inheriting the new implementation?

       Collection allSubclasses count: [ : each | (each
lookupSelector: #size) methodClass = Collection]   "0"

So we're obviously not talking about benefit to any *in-image* kind of
Collection, maybe just potential benefit to some... external
application's Collection?  But while hurting others..?  Have we
reached a point of enough diminishing returns yet?

The reality is that #size is not only part of Smalltalk's original
concept of a Collection since 30 years ago, but is universally
expected to be fast, and Smalltalkers write there code under that
assumption.  That's why the responsibility should be on those unknown
*exceptional* subclasses, the InfiniteCollection's or whatever, to
deny their #size and provide their alternate #isEmpty's.

Tallying it all up, we've got (-1) potential legacy impacts, (-1)
all-new copy-and-pasted code in our core library, just so (+0) some
exceptional-case external class MIGHT inherit this faster-for-them
implementaiton rather than override it.

I totally understand and agree with the ivory-tower arguments made in
favor of this change, its just that in the practical world, it turns
out to be a net negative.

Best,
  Chris