[squeak-dev] Re: The defaullt implementation of isEmpty might do too much work

monty monty2 at programmer.net
Thu Oct 27 23:23:28 UTC 2016

Or just make Collection>>#size a subclassResponsibiliity!

This will force implementors to give proper #size implementations that are usually O(1), which almost all do already. Bag could get the #do:-based #isEmpty as an optimization, or we could add a dedicated 'tally' inst var like other collections have and its #size could return that, making the default #size-based #isEmpty OK for it.

This is a compromise that addresses the concerns about the default Collection>>#isEmpty degrading linearly without a constant #size and the concerns about harming the performance of existing libraries and applications with custom collections that assume Collection>>#isEmpty is #size-based.

Please consider it.