[squeak-dev] Error creating textual references to dropped morphs

yakovdk yakovdk at gmail.com
Tue Sep 6 04:22:18 UTC 2016

I am a Smalltalk newb, so please forgive me if this isn't the right place to
go with this.  I was following a guide that had me open a workspace, set
"Create textual references to dropped morphs", and then drag in a morph from
the Workspace.  It worked great for me on one machine, which had an older
version of Squeak.

But on my Mac, I just installed Squeak 5.1 and when I tried this, I got an
error about 'nil' not responding to the "isOctetString" message.  As I said,
I'm a baby smalltalker, but I looked at the older versions of the
"acceptDroppingMorph" method on the Workspace class.  I found that if I
changed the section that reads as follows:

        (dropee isKindOf: TransferMorph)
                ifTrue: [reference := dropee passenger.
                        externalName := dropee passenger className]
                ifFalse: [reference := dropee.
                        dropee externalName].

It looked to me like the "ifFalse" branch fails to set the externalName
variable, which makes it nil later on.  I changed it to read as follows, and
it seems to work fine for me now:

        (dropee isKindOf: TransferMorph)
                ifTrue: [reference := dropee passenger.
                        externalName := dropee passenger className]
                ifFalse: [reference := dropee.
                        externalName := dropee externalName].

As I said, I'm new to the Squeak world, so I'm not sure where or how to send
this in to the right place, so please correct me if I should be sending this
somewhere else.

Thanks!

Yakov