[Vm-dev] Nuking VM ImageSegment support (was Re: [squeak-dev] Daily Commit Log; System-bf.916)

H. Hirzel hannes.hirzel at gmail.com
Sat Sep 24 12:10:21 UTC 2016

On 9/24/16, Frank Shearar <frank.shearar at gmail.com> wrote:

> It was pretty difficult for Colin Putney to perform the heart surgery
> necessary to get Environments into the image in the first place. The
> capabilities that Environments enable are pretty dang awesome, and it's a
> crying shame that people either don't see these capabilities (sandboxing,
> trivial resolution of class name clashes are the START of things) or (more
> likely) simply haven't had the time to build the _missing tooling support_
> to make Environments work to their fullest.
>
> I'm equally to blame here: I burned out a few years back, and have since
> been too busy doing other stuff to work on Environments (or Squeak at all).
>
> But it would be tragic if we performed the equally painful surgery to
> remove Environments.
>
> So instead of removing a super awesome half-implemented feature of Squeak,
> why don't we, I don't know, _fix the bug_. Raise a bug report. Give a
> patch. It will make Squeak better.

Yes, this is the way to go. And add notes on the Squeak wiki

And simple use cases first. Maybe entering a new environment when
entering a project and leaving it then leaving the environment is a
simple use case.

Subclassing MorphicProject is neat these days and with overriding a
few methods you can customize the project.

The question is what would be needed to set up a project specific environment.
Maybe a new thread should be started for this.

--Hannes