Nuking VM ImageSegment support (was Re: [squeak-dev] Daily Commit Log; System-bf.916)

Kjell Godo squeaklist at gmail.com
Sat Sep 24 12:14:54 UTC 2016

Yay sandboxing
     Yay trivial solve name clashing
     Why hide it

Vat good iss a Dooms Day device
     If You  Keep  It A  Zecret

     Vhy Didn't You Tell Ze VVorld HAH? <---[ Doctor strange love ]

in my opinion if you make a function in a software
     and don't tell anyone
     you might as well not have made the function
     nobody knows it's in there
in Smalltalk the code itself often tells anyone
     but in other languages not so much
     consequently they seem to have better documentation some or mostly
in Smalltalk if a function is dispersed or complex
     such that the code does not speak very well or is muted
     then not spending a few minutes to comment
          ( like Andy Bower used to do for Dolphin
               every single method with a
               one line comment<---[ is priceless ][ no other help
is needed ][ mostly ]
               most of the main classes big commented )
     the main Classes with design and or usage notes
     is a crime of wasted effort
in my opinion
look at the fact that Dolphin has always been so bullet proof
     with images going for months even years without a crash
     or a memory leak
     and all or most of it made by just one or two guys
     can it be attributed to the comments
          at all
          well i bet you a good big chunk of that success rate can be
     I know those comments contributed a good big chunk
          of my not needing to ask for help with Dolphin
          ever
          such that i got a bad habit of never asking for help
          and was totally spoiled for anything that was not Dolphin

how about this idea
     a Class whose only job is to describe some subsystem
     where each of the Methods is just a comment
     or returns a String
     like a little book   right in the code
     ( use Pier Seaside Aida Iliad etc if you had a wild hair
          to get fancy )<---[ not needed ]

so up with comments and up with Andy Bower
     is what I'm saying

and don't hand Google another brick in the wall of their world domination
     by hiding comments out on the internet

     unless you link to it from comments in the code

     in that case every single Class involved should contain such
          a link in its comment to its comment out on the web
          and Methods could have comment links to specific places
               in the web pages where it is commented
          or you hate the users
               and you hate cheaply gotten Maybe wider Smalltalk usage
          in my opinion