[squeak-dev] New, faster RISC OS Squeak

tim Rowledge tim at rowledge.org
Mon Sep 26 18:12:00 UTC 2016

Apologies for the delayed response; busy re-conditioning my kitchen furniture etc. Have to take advantage of the last few days of relatively warm/dry weather for spraying!

From the screenshot you posted it is evident that the initial Display setup is failing to set up the big table to translate Squeak colour values to RISC OS ones. I’m fairly sure it is the call to read the depth required for the palette since the failure seems to be on line 671 of platforms/RiscOS/vm/sqRPCWindows.c - which I can assert from reading the executable in the text editor (not actually witchcraft since the RISC OS text editor can disassemble executables and display them in nice clean assembler format).

The only likely candidate I can come up with is the process of building the root window failed to actually create a window and set the handle element of the window structures I keep in a linked list (this is part of the Ffenestri system for multiple host windows)  *except* if the create-a-window OS call failed it would have raised a fatal error in a different place. See platforms/RiscOS/vm/sqRPCWindows.c  ll:1013 for example.

So I’m currently baffled. On my admittedly very old Pi SD card with RISC OS it works perfectly well for the default screen depth. Did you by any chance change anything at all to do with screen size or depth, either in RISC OS or Squeak?

I’ll try to download the latest RISC OS sometime but I’m kinda swamped right now so please don’t hold your breath for any answers!

> On 22-09-2016, at 4:54 AM, Edwin Ancaer <eancaer at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Hello,
>
> I don't know if it is OK to re-use this old message, but I was following
> this conversation to solve my StreamMan problem while installing Squeak (I
> downloaded Squeak RiscOS 4.4 on riscos squeak.org) on RiscOs (New to RiscOs,
> having some experience with squeak on Linux)
>
> Only, I did not get it working, I got until the
> - wait patiently, don't double-click again, because that will run yet
> another copy of the VM
>
> I saw th Squeak icon appear, and after a while, I got an error saying:
>    /Squeak may have gone wrong. Click Continue to resume or  Quit to stop
> Squeak./
> Of course, I choose the Describe button that gave the message:
>   /Internal Error. Abort on data transfer at &FC02D134./
>

> I'm sill trying to figure out how to get to the postmortem report, but
> whatever button I use to click, the window always closes immediately.
>

> I hoped you could provide any pointers on what I'm doing wrong
>

> Many thanks,
>
> Edwin Ancaer
>

> --

tim
The substance "Hey Y'all, watch this!" is known by the state of California to be hazardous to your health.