[squeak-dev] Environment declarations vs bindings

Nicolas Cellier nicolas.cellier.aka.nice at gmail.com
Thu Sep 29 15:30:13 UTC 2016

> Hi,
>
> Environment>>associationAt: is part of the Smalltalk globals
> Dictionary compatibility interface, right? As a quick and dirty fix, I
> changed instances of Smalltalk at: xyz in Monticello code to
> CurrentEnvironment signal at: xyz, but #at: also only reads in the
> declarations, so myEnvironment at: #MCWriter or myEnvironment at:
> #Object returns nil by default. It would make more sense to perform a
> full lookup via #valueOf:ifAbsent: in #at: and its cousins, wouldn't
> it?
>
> Best,
> Jakob

I imagine that the question is about tools.
For now Smalltalk importSelf, so bindings and declarations do agree.
If an Environment does not importSelf, then some variables will be
invisibles (unbounds). Do we still want to see them in some tool, or not?
What's going on if we play with Alias? Do we want to see the Alias in some
browser? If not, then we'd better stick with declarations.
There is no easy solution. A single facade for two dictionaries cannot fit
all, so we need several different messages.
But it's much about what we want to do with those environments.