[squeak-dev] The Trunk: Morphic-topa.784.mcz

H. Hirzel hannes.hirzel at gmail.com
Mon Apr 10 10:01:56 UTC 2017

And here a summary of the discussion in this thread so far.

Main issue is 'font sizes'. The FontImporterTool just generates a few
text styles with particular font sizes and I do not easily know where
these are defined.

Importing vs Installing
------------------------

Import embeds the font data in the image,
install creates a "reference" font to the font file on disk

Font sizes
-----------

Marcel asked:

Would it be difficult to let the user decide/override which font sizes to
import?

Answer of Tobias:

To quote TTCFont class >> #pointSizes

        "The default sizes that are created when a TextStyle is
created.  You can add new sizes by the new-size feature."
        ^ #(9 12 15 24 36).

So, it is possible to change the point size of a TTCFont internally
and TextStyles also support this somewhat, but actually _adding_ a point
size takes code; after import/install you could do

        ((TextStyle named: 'Gill Sans') addNewFontSize: 8)

but there's no UI.

Using TextStyles

> Why should I use TextStyle if I want to program with or access fonts? I
> always use StrikeFont... :-)

Because that is what the user sees when she hits ctrl-K for the
font menu…

I used this TextStyle thingy because it is there and I don't need
no additional registry again :D