[squeak-dev] [Pharo-dev] stepping off the end of the debug stack

Eliot Miranda eliot.miranda at gmail.com
Tue Apr 11 19:12:09 UTC 2017

Hi Ben,

On Fri, Apr 7, 2017 at 9:32 PM, Ben Coman <btc at openinworld.com> wrote:

> I imagine a newcomer exploring the system could easily step off the end of
> the debug stack like this...
>
> (1 printString)   "debugIt"
> then StepOver six times where the image hangs at "Processor
> terminateActive"
>
> This could have a strong impact against first impressions.
> What would it take to guard against this?

I just took a look at this in Squeak and fixed it there.  All I had to do
was fix Process>>completeStep: and arrange that the Debugger wasn't
confused when it got back the nil suspendedContext of a terminated process
and that it disabled its into/over/through buttons on process termination.
You can see the Squeak changes in these two commits:

The Trunk: Kernel-eem.1093.mcz
<http://forum.world.st/The-Trunk-Kernel-eem-1093-mcz-tp4941815.html>
The Trunk: Tools-eem.756.mcz
<http://forum.world.st/The-Trunk-Tools-eem-756-mcz-tp4941816.html>