[squeak-dev] FFI and current images/VMs

Chris Cunningham cunningham.cb at gmail.com
Wed Apr 19 16:57:10 UTC 2017

Over the last week, I've been trying to build a new image on the latest
trunk, which for my purposes needs to include ODBC, and until just
recently, I've been failing.

After rooting around a bit, I finally found that the base trunk image I was
using (from this location: http://files.squeak.org/6.0alpha/ ) seems to all
be based off of this VM:
[image: Inline image 3]
 My previous image that I was porting from is:
[image: Inline image 2]
which worked fine calling out FFI/ODBC.
After trying many changes (looking at 64 bit image, 32 bit image, other
fumbling around), I finally tracked down a current VM from
https://bintray.com/opensmalltalk/vm/cog/_latestVersion#files
This version:
[image: Inline image 1]
seems to work just fine with FFI (at leat, it runs the ODBC code without a
hitch).  Even in the 64 bit version.

I've sent this message for a few reasons:
1 - for my future self, to remember where the link is for the most current
VM's (I can't find a link to it elsewhere outside of the email archives)
2 - for anyone else having FFI issues
3 - as a subtle request to eventually update the stable, blessed version of
the VMs that are used in the bleeding edge Image archives, so that they
work better with less hassle.

Thanks,
cbc